Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Week 5 Storytelling: Lava and Kusha

Boys will be Boys


Sita
When Rama declared my exile, I knew I was pregnant. I decided not to tell him so he could rule his lands in good conscience. For if I told the people, they would think I was trying to escape banishment. I decided to travel down the road to my home village, where a friend sage by the name of Valmiki took me in. He had no one. I had no one. He took care of me as if I were his own. I, too, took care of him like he was my father.
            When my twins were born, I named them Lava and Kusha. The time was never right to tell them of their heritage. Although, Valmiki told them stories of the great Rama.
            One day, Rama announced that he was doing the infamous horse sacrifice. My twins begged me to go. Rama was their hero. I allowed the kids to go with Valmiki, but without me. I did not want to attract the wrong attention. My heart yearned to see my Rama again, but the consequences were too great. As Valmiki and the boys were headed off, I stayed to tend to the chores.

Valmiki
            An old sage and rambunctious twins are never a good combination. As the twins have gotten older, they have calmed down a bit, but never enough for me. From the moment they were born, I could see, I could feel their greatness radiating. Even when Sita was pregnant, she had a glow to her.
            In the bustling kingdom, we were able to find housing with an old friend of mine, Saliki. The day of the horse sacrifice, the boys were playing the streets along with the other village children. I could see the people murmuring the uncanny resemblance of the twins with their King. By the end of the night, the talk of the town was the twins from the far village. When we got to Saliki’s house, a messenger from the palace had come to invite us to meet Rama. The boys were excited to meet Rama the hero.

Rama
            7 years ago, I banished the love of my life for my people. She understood my decision and willingly left me. 7-year-old boys are running around the streets of my village. At first, I ignored the remarks, but a part of me still wondered, hoped for them to be my children. I was doubtful. I did not want to be disappointed or mislead. Throughout the years, I had many women claim I was the father of their children. However, when I looked at their children, I did not see me. I did not see any of my features, I only saw the woman’s and a stranger’s.

            The twins walked into the palace with an old sage, someone too old to be their father. The excitement of the boys’ faces shone when they set their eyes on me. My heart warmed. I immediately saw Sita’s kind eyes, Sita’s raven black hair and my mischievous smile. There was no doubt that I fathered these children. I was still processing the information. When Valmiki offered to retrieve my wife, I had no objections. My beloved wife and children, we were going to be reunited and live a long prosperous life. 
Image result for lava and kusha

(Valmiki, Lava, and Kusha - Image Source)


Author's note: This story was about Rama and when he meets his children. Sita found refuge with Valmiki who took her in when she was pregnant. As the boys grew older, Valmiki retold the legends of Rama. Rama decides to have a sacrifice and invite the whole kingdom. Upon hearing this, the boys and Valmiki go to the village. The villagers notice the resembalence and Rama meets his twins. Valkimi tells Rama the truth and fetches Sita. I wanted to tell this story between the different perspectives and the thoughts that may have ran through their minds.

Bibliography: "Ramayana" from Divine Archer by F.J. Gould. Web Source

3 comments:

  1. Hey Chelsea! I loved the style of this story. The way you switched between characters for narration gave your readers insight into each person's thoughts and observations. I've never written like this, but I'm definitely going to try to use this in my future stories. I had wondered why Sita didn't fight Rama more on her exile, especially considering she was pregnant with his children. Your story explains this well. I love how Rama was excited when he saw his children and wanted to be with Sita. In the Ramayana, I felt that he was still rude to Sita and this bothered me. Very nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there, Chelsea!
    I thought it was an awesome idea to see the story from three different perspectives. I remember reading about the banishment of Sita and thinking that it was one of the saddest moments from the Ramayana. It was even more saddening when I learned that she was pregnant with Rama's twins. I think you did a great job conveying the emotions of each character during this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chelsea! Thank you for sharing this story with us. I really enjoyed seeing the unique imagery and language used here. Thank you for elaborating on character traits and important details that shape the plot really well. You are really talented at writing and should definitely keep it up past this class!

    ReplyDelete