Thursday, March 29, 2018

Learning Challenge: Prolonged Sitting

GET OFF THE COUCH BABY BOOMERS, OR YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO LATER

I knew that inactivity could lead to many diseases. One new thing I learned is the amount of sitting that was calculated in a day. It all adds up. An 8 hour day combined with an hour commute in a day amounted to 10 hours. If you calculate the amount of sitting while eating and enjoying activities, it could be 13 hours of sitting. Only 11 hours remain in the day which 9 hours are presumably used for sleep. Therefore there are 2 hours left to move around. I also learned that because of television, it has created more people to be glued to the chair. I am a victim of Netflix. I stay seated while I watch Netflix. A thing I am curious to explore is to move while watching Netflix. I noticed that the article did not say to stop the activity completely but to integrate physical activity about every 30 minutes. It is important to move at least 1 to 2 minutes just to keep the blood flow moving. Sometimes, I will watch Netflix while I am on the treadmill. I would like to act on my curiosity by only watching Netflix when I am on the treadmill or doing some sort of activity.

Image result for couch potato
(Couch potato - Image Source)

Bibliography. "Get Off the Couch Baby Boomers, or you may not be able to later." by Patti Neighmond. Web Source. 

No comments:

Post a Comment