Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Growth Mindset: Strongest Impact

The strongest growth mindset that occurred for me was during winter break. I decided to go snowboarding for the first time with my cousins, Christine and Phillip, at Mammoth Mountain. Christine was a expert skier. Phillip and I were newbies, so we signed up for snowboarding lessons for the first two hours of the day. We spent it falling and rolling down a small hill. After our lessons, we ate lunch at the cabin and then I took a nap. Once I woke up, I decided to go back to the small hill and practice while Phillip decided to stay home. When I was at the small hill, Christine convinced me to go on an actual run. Everything about the run was difficult.

Number 1: getting off the chairlift was a struggle. 

Number 2: getting buckled was a struggle. 
Number 3: going down was a struggle. 
Number 4: falling was a struggle. 
Number 5: getting up was a struggle.
Number 6: repeating 3 - 5 was a struggle. 

The process of getting up from falling down was more mentally challenging than physically challenging. It was hard to get up when I knew I was going to fall. But, small achievements were something I strived for. The goals I strove for was to change directions and stay up longer. I never had to persevere through something so physically and mentally demanding. I never played sports or had to push myself. 


The next day, Christine, Phillip, and I went to the side of the mountain with the main lodge. The slopes were much easier than the day before. I didn't notice my improvement until I snowboarded with Phillip. My extra practice had cushioned me more for my learning curve, whereas Phillip was me on day 1. Fortunately, the run I did on day 1 was 10x harder than the run we ran that day. The falls were a much softer. I was very elated when I finished that run. In many ways, I felt like I couldn't snowboard. However, in the end, I feel like I can conquer anything. I look forward to learning how to snowboard better and possibly skiing. 


The mindset that I picked up from snowboarding was to get up again. Although the journey is tough, getting up is half the battle. The feeling of satisfaction at the end of the journey is more rewarding the more times I fell, because it is a sign that I could do it. It is very much applicable in school life. I had a bump in the road with my other courses, but I plan on getting back up and pushing through.




(Photo taken by Christine)

1 comment:

  1. Chelsea, I have never been skiing or snowboarding, but my sister just went, and I think your blog post is such a true testament according to her stories. I think that learning to push past the difficult times is such a crucial part of growth that most like to ignore. We often grow the most in times of pain and struggle, but when we push through, we come out stronger!

    ReplyDelete