Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Week 3 Story: The Golden Gazelle

The Golden Gazelle


Maricha was desperate.
She wanted to have Rama for herself. She deserved Rama, not Sita. Although Rama assumed that Maricha was out to kill Rama, that was far from true. Maricha had young love, the type of love that made girls bully boys. Rama misunderstood. Unsure of what to do, Maricha ran deep into the forest until she stumbled upon a clearing. In the clearing, there was a small fountain with one center spew. Maricha sobbed into the fountain filling it with her tears. A lighted figure appeared in front of her.

“Hello Maricha, my name is Raven. I would like to present you with an offer,” said Raven.
“Yes?” replied Maricha.
“How would you like to get rid of Sita?”
“I would very much like that.”
“Then listen to my plan.”

Raven turned Maricha into a beautiful golden gazelle. As the golden gazelle grazed the grass, Sita beheld it. Immediately she knew she wanted the gazelle in the palace grounds. Rama so in love with Sita could not refuse her request. Just like a lion on the hunt, Rama ran after the gazelle. As Maricha ran in the forest, deeper and deeper, she started to become afraid. She did not want to become someone else’s property, especially not Sita’s. But if all went according to plan, Raven just needed Rama far away from Sita.


When Raven sensed that the gazelle and Rama were out of the vicinity, he began his plan. Raven had been planning ever since he first laid eyes on Sita 5 years ago. For the first time in 300 years, he fell in love due to her beauty and grace. With Rama out of the picture, Raven was able to capture Sita with no trouble.  
Image result for golden gazelle
(The Golden Gazelle - Image Source)

Author's Note: Sita becomes enamored by a golden deer. She requests that Rama obtain it for her. Because Rama loves her, he tries to get the golden deer, falling into Ravana's plan. Ravana wanted to kidnap Sita. While, Rama was hunting the golden deer. he realized how unnatural the deer moved. He came to the conclusion to kill the golden deer rather than capture the deer for Sita. Unfortunately, while Rama killed Maricha, Maricha cried out imitating Rama. Sita went to seek out Rama, Ravana kidnapped her.

Bibliography: "Ramayana - The Golden Deer" from Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie. Web Source.

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your interpretation of the story, Chelsea. You sticked mostly to the original story but added your own flavor on it. As I read your story, I could paint a clear and vivid picture in my head. I also noticed that in your retelling, you mentioned "Ravana" as "Raven," which I thought was something unique and cool spin that you included.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also did a retelling of this story. I like how you pointed out that Maricha began to feel fearful of becoming Sita's property, that was not something that I had thought to add to my retelling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Chelsea! I really like this retelling. I think that your use of dialogue makes the story easier to understand and easier to relate to! Also, your extra backstory on Maricha is helpful to a full comprehension of everything happening in this episode. I really enjoyed this retelling and I am excited to see the rest of your blog. Thanks for sharing.
    Jessie

    ReplyDelete